Sunday, August 12, 2007

Reminiscing

The following photos will probably be of interest only to those in my (Pat) family who remember the Whitney and Preston days. To me Cache Valley is home. I have such fond memories of going to Grandma and Grandpa Dunkley's farm in the summer and visiting Uncle Theo and Aunt Edith Bell, Aunt Ellen and Uncle Harley Greaves. On the way home from Menan, I talked Carl into exiting the freeway at Downey and driving through that oh so familiar territory on the way to Preston.......

Like my dad, Uncle Theo was a dairy farmer, and even though he is long gone, his barn with the painted scenes on it is still there, as well as their home which looks much smaller than I remember. I don't know if you can pick it out, but you can see Uncle Theo's brand which is a T sitting on top of a bell shape.


Dad's oldest sister, Ellen, and her husband, Harley Greaves, lived in this brick home in Preston. It was beautifully decorated inside, and we thought it was a mansion!



If you've seen "Napoleon Dynamite" you will recognize this hill between Whitney and Franklin. My Uncle 'K' used to tell me the top looked like an Indian chief, and as a child I could readily see the old chief up on top facing south with his headdress feathers flowing out behind him (Carl says "whatever..."!


The following are from the Whitney Cemetery where Grandma and Grandpa Dunkley are buried as are Uncle Dick and Aunt Marie. It kind of hit me that my favorite aunt was just two older than me when she passed away. They were the best aunt and uncle ever!! President Ezra Taft Benson, who was mother's first cousin, is buried just a few yards from them all.


The following photos were sort of sad to me. This is the home where I visited my grandparents and such a wonderful time picking raspberries, eating gooseberries, watching Grandpa milk the cows and pick apples. The house is almost unrecognizable. It was gray stucco with a flat roof which, of course, used to cause all kinds of problems with leakage! Someone later added the sloped roof, but it's all vacant now. The old apple tree is still there and the old garage.
This old sugar factory on the outskirts of Whitney is a familiar landmark.



7 comments:

Susan said...

I think my great grandmother is buried in that cemetary, too. It's either that cemetary or one close by. She was buried with her new baby.

Delene said...

Keith's Grandmother, Ireta Rallison Bartholomew, is buried in the Whitney Cemetary. That is where she grew up. Her grave is not too far from President Benson's. (Small world!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Pat for those photos. I remember some of those places vaguely (naturally since I am SO much younger than you!)

Phil

Delene said...

I've just been looking at your blog again and remembered that we are also cousins to Pres. Benson on Keith's Grandmothers side. She was, as I mentioned a Rallison and we are also related to the Hull family from there. It is the Hull family that is connected to the Bensons....Mary Benson married Thomas Hull. Her father is Peter Benson. Just think...Susan and Darren are related! Kissin' cousins!

Indiana Clark's said...

Pat, I really enjoyed this blog. I felt like it was a piece of history and memories that I can share with Courtney and Camilla. Maybe they will live out there some day and they will know where Grandma Clark's family lived. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Good update. I grew up taking the slow way home through all the places and people my mom wanted to see. I really enjoyed it.

Richard and Sharon said...

That does bring back some amazing memories. It reminds me that I do have some happy memories from my childhood with our grandparents. We didn't get to see them very often but it truly was fun when we did. I remember eating goosberries with a box of soda to dip them in.